life.food.family

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Karin's Birthday

April 21
Karin's birthday !






Karin was convinced that we were doing nothing but having a nice supper together on her birthday. We had just gone to Deerfield the previous weekend for our anniversary, and there was no money left :)

Well, instead of just the two of us, two dear people joined us - Liz and Julia !

After work I went to Yoshinora in Cambridge to pick up the required supplies for our birthday sushi night, and got salmon (skin on), some incredible looking tuna, fresh tofu, shumai, and a container of miso...drove over to Boston to pick up Liz from the library (her 2nd home) and then off to Marty's to pick up some wine and sake.

When we got to the apartment, I walked in with all the bags, and then, slowly, Lizzie walked in behind me ! Karin was, to say the least, shocked. Liz had emailed Karin earlier in the day saying that she hoped Karin had a nice birthday, but as usual, she was going to be in the library studying for her "contracts" class.

Shortly after we arrived, Julia arrived too!

Once all the girls had chatted on and on about "how nice to see you" "no, you" "no, YOU" I went into the kitchen to start preparing the meal for the evening.

In between getting the rice ready and preparing some of the dishes, Karin had time to open a few gifts here and there.... including this one, a lovely ring I picked up for her at Tiffany ! The little blue box is all you really need ;)










Once the rice was done, I was ready to roll, literally! I cut the skin off of the salmon with JUST enough meat left on it; into a dish meat side down, soy sauce on the skin, and under the broiler for the BEST part of any sushi dish - broiled, crunchy, salty sweet salmon skin! The girls helped get the table ready, and as I finished preparing the sushi and sashimi etc etc, I got the miso soup ready, added the fresh tofu, seaweed, and scallions.




Finally, the table was set, ready and we started eating ! YUM !

Not a lot left, which is a nice thing for any chef to see. Not much talking at the table either, lots of chewing, "pass that plate please" and "i don't think i can eat another bite !"

After dinner, more presents to open, and then talk talk talk.

Julie left at some late point to go meet up with Charley, and Liz and Karin chatted deep into the night, as Liz stayed over.

A good time had by all !

Happy Birthday Karin !

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely to be able to share the birthday - preparations - fun - gifts etc. Wonder what was in those lovele gifts Karin opened.

Berit

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home